With the rain yesterday morning raining on my fitness parade I had mentioned hitting the gym and seeing what I could accomplish. I really need to have the something is better than nothing attitude right now. Well, I did not make it to the gym. But, I did get a walk in. It kind of happened due to an unexpected circumstance. Here is the story….
Yesterday was Emma’s first day back to school so we decided to take her back and forth instead of having her take the bus. I wanted to help her find her classroom, she was pretty nervous about getting lost in the first grade wing. So, off we went, I got her to her class and I went home and got some things done that I needed to do, had lunch with a girlfriend and then Pat and I ran back out to the school to pick her up. They have an area that the First Graders are released to after school is dismissed and I waited and waited and did not see my kid anywhere (Pat was in the car). So I went to the cross-guard and the attendant outside and she told me to continue to wait because she thought there were more kids that have not come out. So I did, I waited and waited. I didn’t see any kids coming out, the parking lot was almost empty so I was freaking out and pissed off. I marched my ass into the office and of course I had to wait in line even though I was freaking out trying to tell them my kid was MISSING! I called pat and told him to go home in case she was on a bus or left with a neighbor or something. I was able to track down her teacher and found out that she was put on a bus (without my consent)! I don’t think that there is a word to describe the amount of stress, worry and anger I was feeling. Being at the school and having sent Pat home I decided I did not feel like waiting for Emma to get off the bus, him load her in the car and come get me so I decided to start walking. Probably not the best idea seeing I was wearing flip-flops, it was hot as heck out and I was wearing jeans. Oh well, I needed to blow off steam and I had no desire to sit at the school any longer. It was not the teacher’s fault or even the office but the bus attendants and transportation department. None the less I was mad. After I got close to a mile and a half in Pat and Emma met up with me and scooped me up. I felt like crap from the heat but ended up just fine. The good thing was I got some exercise in. It’s about time!
Today we were supposed to go to the Kiss/Motley Crue Concert with another couple so it was postponed until tomorrow. So I decided I would give the kitchen a go. The original dinner plan was fast-food on the way down to the concert. Oh the shame in having to admit that! HA! I have not done much in the kitchen lately. The smell of raw and/or cooking meat does not sit well with this baby. The October issue of Family Circle Magazine came in the mail today and i saw the recipe for BLT Pasta in it. The picture looked delish and it is pretty healthy (compared to how I have been eating) and light. There are very simple ways to make it quite healthy, swap out bacon for turkey or chicken bacon, cut out the bacon fat, use whole grain pasta, up the amount of veggies, all in all simple to adjust to healthier.
- 8 ounces center-cut bacon (12 or 13 slices), diced
- 1 1 pound box penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1 pound bunch spinach, trimmed, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bunch red chard, well cleaned, tough stems discarded, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, torn
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet for 10 minutes over medium heat until just crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tbsp of the drippings in skillet.
3. Meanwhile, cook penne in boiling water for 11 minutes. Drain.
4. Add 2 tbsp of the olive oil to skillet with bacon drippings. Return to medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add spinach and chard and cook 4 minutes until wilted. Stir in cherry tomatoes; cook 2 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, toss penne, bacon, spinach mixture, basil, remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, the vinegar, salt and pepper.